These points and supporting sources are found at: Teachers’ Corner, ProCon.org
- 93% of higher education teachers believe critical thinking is an essential learning outcome.
- Critical thinking is considered the second most important life skill after interpersonal skill.
- Learning about controversial topics in school increases students’ political participation.
- Teaching controversial topics helps students develop non-violent strategies for dealing with conflict.
- Controversial issue assignments increase critical thinking skills and appreciation of cultural diversity.
- Studying and debating controversial topics in school helps increase student attention, motivation, achievement, creativity, and self-esteem.
“I don’t make jokes — I just watch the government and report the facts.” –Will Rogers