I’ve gotten a number of requests to share the resources from my recent Spring Workshop on free and Open Source software for productivity and public access computer enrichment. I thought I’d gather them together in a format that’s more accessible than the download links scattered throughout my Prezi. I even added a few apps for good measure. Cheers!
Open Source Software
- LibreOffice Office software suite
- Scribus Desktop publishing
- Audacity Sound recording and editing
- GIMP Image manipulation program
- Inkscape Vector graphics editor
- Nvu Web authoring system
- SageThumbs Convert images from the right-click menu
- VLC Simple, fast, and powerful media player
- DuplicateCommander locate and eliminate duplicate files
- MyFolders Right-click menu extender allows you to quickly move/copy files to designated folders
- Panda USB Vaccine Prevent the spread of infection via USB devices
- SUMo Monitor 3rd party applications for updates
- Sun Vox Modular music creation studio
- 7-Zip Portable Open Source compression and encryption utility
- Autoruns Evaluate and toggle all startup programs
- Avast! Browser Cleanup Remove unwanted add-ons and toolbars
- CCleaner Portable Cleanup temporary files
- CloseAll Close all open windows with a click
- FireFox Portable Open Source web browser
- Geek Uninstaller Completely uninstall even tenacious programs
- JustManager Multi-panel enhanced Windows Explorer alternative
- Recuva Portable File recovery utility
- Restarter Closes and restarts Windows Explorer without rebooting
- Unlocker Portable Unlocks stubborn files for renaming, deletion, etc.
Note: for resources tailored to dealing with malware/spyware/adware, I’d refer you to this post.
If you have recommendations of your own or requests regarding other sorts of apps, please share them in the comments!