Earlier this month, I attended the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) annual meeting in Biloxi, Mississippi as the state representative for North Dakota. CSLP is “a consortium of states working together to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at the lowest cost possible for their public libraries.”
In North Dakota, the North Dakota Library Association pays the dues for all public libraries to be members. CSLP is the organization that produces the summer reading manual. The State Library purchases one summer reading manual for each public library. Member libraries work together to produce the manual.
At the annual meeting, the state representatives vote on the themes, slogans, and artists for future programs based on feedback from the librarians in their states.
2015 Theme: Heroes
- Children’s slogan: Every Hero Has a Story (Artist: Jarrett Krosoczka)
- Teen slogan: Unmask! (Artist: Hope Larson)
- Adult slogan: Escape the Ordinary
2o16 Theme: Fitness/Wellness
- Children’s slogan: On Your Mark, Get Set, Read
- Teen slogan: Get in the Game – Read
- Adult slogan: Exercise Your Mind – Read
2017 Theme: Build a Better World
- Slogans: will be chosen in 2015
This year, CSLP has partnered with several other organizations with similar missions. Here are just a few:
- Bedtime Math’s mission is “to make nightly math as common and beloved as the bedtime story,” which makes it a perfect partnership for a summer reading program! Learn how to integrate math into your summer reading program.
- The Lunar and Planetary Institute provides free, step-by-step guides for hosting hands-on STEM programming in your library.
- Movie Licensing USA provides licenses so you can show movies in your library. You can get a yearly license or a one-time license. They have compiled a list of science-related movies and craft ideas.
- Wordsworth Publishing Group publishes Fit4Fun Readers. To help combat the “summer slide,” they will be giving away one million copies of their special Summer Edition to CSLP member libraries, so request yours soon!
- You may have noticed the National Geographic incentives in the CSLP catalog this year. Check out the kids section of their website for ideas for your program this summer.
- The National Park Service has a special page for librarians with activities for National Fossil Day on October 15.
- Xist Publishing was created to publish quality ebooks for kids, though they also have print books. Reward kids with ebook incentives for $1.
- Also, Teaching Books once again has free resources related to the children’s and teen themes.
If you would like to learn more about CSLP in North Dakota, please let me know!