Reading Is Fundamental “is the largest children’s literacy nonprofit in the United States.” Their mission is to encourage children to read, and their website has a number of resources to help parents accomplish this at home.
The Kids section of the site has three great resources:
- Leading to Reading – this site has early literacy activities for pre-readers, with sections for ages 0-2 and 3-5, and resources for parents
- Reading Planet – this site is designed for kids ages 5 and up and features a Game Station, Activity Lab, and Book Zone
- Let’s Read as a Family – this is site has literacy activities parents can do with their children at home and also has lots of tips for parents
For use in the library, check out the Literacy Resources, which include:
The Activity section is probably the most useful resource for library programming, including:
- Monthly Activity Calendars with reading and writing activities for different age groups
- Story Samplers adaptable for different age groups
You can also search for activity ideas by category, age, and other factors. These activities could be used in conjunction with story time, or for additional programming throughout the year.