Story time is a topic I write about quite frequently here at Field Notes, and today I’ve decided to feature a number of my favorite resources for story time research and ideas. At the NDLA annual conference in September, Aaron Stefanich, children’s librarian at the Grand Forks Public Library, and I hosted a Guerrilla Storytime session for people to share their favorite story time activities, and I thought we could use Field Notes as a platform to virtually share our favorite story time resources.
- Abby the Librarian has a list of STEM story times themes, in addition to other story time themes.
- Jbrary offers story time ideas, link roundups, and they also make YouTube videos!
- The Show Me Librarian has an excellent collection of STEAM programs.
- Storytime Katie has an extensive list of story time themes, as well as songs, rhymes, finger plays, and flannel boards.
- Storytime Share by Saroj Ghoting offers early literacy “asides,” which are tips directed at the parents or caregivers that you can incorporate into story time.
- Storytime Underground goes beyond just ideas and resources. You can also sign up for Storytime University, an online professional development opportunity.
- Tiny Tips for Library Fun offers not only program ideas, but many other useful tips and resources as well.
- ALSCblog is the blog for the Association for Library Service to Children. It is a great place to go to find out what neat new things children’s librarians are doing in other states.
Have you used any of these resources? Which resources do you rely on for new story time ideas or connecting with colleagues? Share your recommendations in the comments!