On Monday, August 21, 2017, the Moon will pass in front of the sun and cast its shadow will across North America, resulting in a solar eclipse.
Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, and parts of a few other states will be lucky enough to witness the total solar eclipse (a spectacle like this hasn’t been visible in the continental United States in just under 40 years). The rest of us will experience a partial solar eclipse (the moon will cover part of the sun).
Check out this cool video by NASA that predicts the trajectory of the total and partial solar eclipse:
Some are calling this the celestial event of the century. Don’t let your library miss out on this great opportunity!
Here are some great resources to get your library ready for the solar eclipse:
- Total Eclipse 2017 (NASA) – includes a countdown, information, events, resources, educational material, and activity ideas
- Eclipse Resource Center (Star_Net) – includes programming materials for libraries and educational resources
- Hands-on Activities (Star_Net) – includes activity ideas and resources for the eclipse
- Get Your Library Ready for the Celestial Event of the Century! (WebJunction) – includes information about the eclipse, resources, and programming ideas
- Is Your Library Ready for the Astronomical Event of the Decade? (Programming Librarian) – includes information and resources
- Participating Eclipse Libraries (Star_Net) – map displaying all the libraries that have registered to host a solar eclipse event (feel free to register your library!)
- The August solar eclipse: There’s an app for that (My ND Now) – lists and describes apps relating to the solar eclipse
- A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live. (Vox) – an interactive tool that displays when the solar eclipse will occur in your area and what it will look like
- Solar Eclipse Across America (American Astronomical Society) – books, downloads, videos, maps, webinars, and more resources as compiled by the AAS Solar Eclipse Task Force
- GreatAmericanEclipse.com – guides, maps, history, blog, educational materials, and more!
- Eclipse Live Steam (NASA)