North Dakota is a much larger state than people often realize. With about 70,000 square miles, it ranks in the top 20 largest states (fun fact).
The North Dakota State Library (NDSL) strives to serve all libraries across the state in a timely and efficient manner. Several departments, like Library Development (LD), are frequently on the road conducting site visits and providing assistance to libraries. However, North Dakota’s geography can sometimes be a burden, especially when assistance is needed immediately. Thankfully, technology is here to help.
When a library has a pressing issue (that cannot be resolved via phone or email) and visual assistance is needed, LD utilizes Zoom.
Zoom is a communication platform that allows for collaboration, video conferencing, online meetings, webinars, etc.
With Zoom, LD can easily share their screen and walk you through the issue. This can also work vice versa: You can easily share your screen and visually explain things on your end.
Using Zoom may particularly come in handy with any WordPress questions or during the Annual Report/ State Aid seasons.
Here’s how a Zoom session with Library Development (LD) would work:
- Contact LD about your question or issue.
- If your inquiry cannot be resolved via phone or email and a visual aid would make the situation easier, LD will initiate a Zoom meeting.
- LD will provide you with the Zoom meeting information (either the link to join and/or the meeting ID number).
- Once you get the information, attempt to join the meeting. This can be done by clicking on the meeting link/URL or entering in the meeting ID on Zoom. If you do not have Zoom installed on your computer, you may be prompted to download it. (NDSL’s webinars and NDLA’s meetings are conducted via Zoom. So if you don’t have Zoom downloaded, it would be a good idea to have it anyway.)
- You will be redirected to join the Zoom meeting. In the Zoom meeting, you or the LD representative will be able to share their screen.
- No microphone on your computer? – No problem! The Zoom meeting can be muted and you can talk with your LD representative on the phone while you collaborate and share screens.
- No webcam on your computer? – No problem! A webcam is not required to participate in a Zoom meeting. As long as you are able to view the meeting screen, there shouldn’t be any issues.
- Will there be any costs to use this service? – No! Zoom does have a variety of different plans, some of which have a fee. However, Zoom also has a basic plan that is free. But, there will be no costs for libraries to attending a Zoom meeting that LD sets up.
- Does Zoom have remote desktop capabilities? – No. Zoom is not remote desktop software, so LD will not be able to gain access to your computer via Zoom. Zoom is a collaboration platform and only allows for the sharing of screens. You would still have full access to your computer, but all meeting attendees would be able to see your screen when you share it.
- How can Zoom meetings be joined? – https://youtu.be/vFhAEoCF7jg
- How do I share my screen? – https://youtu.be/9wsWpnqE6Hw